Stillwell Cobra

Stillwell Cobra

Saturday 30 July 2011

Cobra Information

In 1978 Ford had 400 XC coupe bodies left to sell to the public. Edsel Ford was approached to create a marketing ploy that would move the coupes quickly. Basically Edsel said apply some Carrol Shelby Cobra stripes and give them all a number. This idea did very well but because the coupes were only allocated to certain major dealers, not everyone could have one.

 Due to demand, Stillwell Ford created a dealer 4door Cobra. I don't know if Bib Stillwell had the idea before he was approached by a customer or if a customer gave him the idea. As for how many were made and what cars were used, this information varies as Stillwells documents were destroyed after about 7years after production. I have heard of numbers between 3 and 40. Realistically I can't see the number being much more than about 10 sedans. For instance the Peter Warren Ford Dealership in Liverpool, Sydney made 4 dealership Cobra panelvans which started their lives as Sundowner panelvans.

The car pictured is my own car and started life as a 1978 Falcon 500 sedan in sand white, black interior with a 302 4barrel, 4speed single rail and disc brake borg warner diff. The car has rally pack tag which matches engine and body number. The vehicle has most the Cobra parts such as twin headlight grill, G.S. bonnet, G.S. sports padded dash, G.S. petrol cap, blacked out chrome. I don't know if these were fitted at factory or if Stillwell Ford had to install them. I've been told the stripes were applied by a panel shop near the dealership. The panel shop probably also fitted the bonnet scoop and rear bobtail spoilers. I was told by the 3rd owner that my car didn't have a front spoiler. The seats have plain blue cloth inserts (not Cobra material) and my auto trimmer says it's what they call lounge chair velour.
One other thing my car has is a badge on the glove box that says B.S.S. COBRA. (Bib Stillwell Services Cobra). I have seen some pics of other 4door Cobras and non have a glove box badge. I have been contacted by a person in Brisbane who also has a B.S.S. Cobra and he says his car does have the glovebox badge.

I will be adding pics and information as I gather them up and I welcome all rumors, information and pics that you may have to offer.

4 comments:

  1. had my bss cobra from new last one i think bought jan 1979 no badge john look on rare spares page 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mate had a four-door in Melbourne. We beleive it was created by a south eastern Melbourne dealer who I contacted but have forgotten about now ("Creative... something?) He was doing alarms or something when I found him. Interesting thing was that it had correct (or perhaps November) dated wheels and original Cobra seat fabric, which was said to have run out with the coupes, so hard to see how it could have had such original looking seats (this was prior to the late 90's run of fabric that was made) The plate noted the car was a GS in Sno White but then listed an 'insert' or something to that effect. The car was base white, not base blue like the coupes. Auto, air, steer, 5.8, GS grille & bonnet, front & rear spoilers. Seemed fairly honest (ie far from perfect) when mate got it in the mid 90's. The seat fabric was true to an original, well used Cobra. Had a rear window louver. We initially assumed it was a BSS, but I don't think it was. Very well done though when you consider the seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has any more information come to light regarding these vehicles?

    ReplyDelete